Role: CVCFG Communication and Marketing Associate
Contract: project-based contract, between 0.5 and 1.5 days per week based on workload
Expected start date: May 2019
Duration of contract: 6 months (renewable subject to project funding )
Application process: Applicants should apply with a CV and cover letter that shows examples of relevant experience. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com by 27th May 2019 and must include CVCFG communication and marketing associate in the subject.
The USAID-funded Commercially Viable, Conflict-Free Gold (CVCFG) Project aims to tackle economic injustice and conflict by driving better business in the gold supply chain. The five-year programme seeks to strengthen the responsibly sourced gold supply chain originating from eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The project aspires to improve access to markets for artisanal and small-scale mining cooperatives and facilitate international responsible ASM gold trade. The consortium responsible for implementing the project is led by Global Communities.
The program will address downstream and upstream barriers to achieving commercially viable, conflict-free, Artisanal and Small-scale Mining (ASM) gold supply-chain originating in eastern DRC. This will be achieved by:
- Objective 1: Increasing demand for and co-investment in conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from eastern DRC by increasing the reputation, visibility and availability of responsibly sourced gold from eastern DRC that meets ICGLR and OECD requirements;
- Objective 2: Increasing the exports of conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from eastern DRC by strengthening and replicating the supply chain traceability and due diligence approach introduced by the Just Gold Project;
- Objective 3: Improving governance and business operations of ASM gold cooperatives through targeted and participatory capacity building.
Levin Sources is leading Objective 1 and providing support for Objective 2.
About the role
The communication and marketing specialist will support the CVCFG communication and stakeholder engagement activities. Expected deliverables:
- CVCFG communication strategy for Levin Sources activities under the programme;
- Understanding and alignment of Levin Sources communication activities with the ones of the leader partner and programme requirements;
- Support CVCFG project team to create, review, edit and finalise communication and marketing material;
- Lead and deliver communication and marketing campaign as one of the deliverables of the programme.
Experience and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable experience working in a professional, results-orientated marketing and communications role
- Marketing qualifications (CIM) desirable
- Background experience working for organisations in sustainability, corporate social responsibility, human rights, environment, mining/minerals, management consultancy, NGO, industry association, luxury, ethical fashion and jewellery, or any other field related to the substance of Levin Sources’ expertise areas and markets
- Excellent research, analysis and writing skills
- Full Microsoft Office suite to an advanced level etc.
- Experienced user of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or equivalent
- Experienced user of content management systems
- Video production and editing skills desirable
- Project management experience
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Additional languages an advantage
- Value-driven with a passion for people, planet, and the conviction to push and enable commercial actors and their regulators to drive meaningful social change
- Strong interest in social and environmental issues, international development, responsible and sustainable materials, and supply chains
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Connects with colleagues and clients of varied nationalities, specialisms, backgrounds, and commercial contexts
- Ability to present research findings in a format suitable for the audience (verbal or written)
- Experiencing editing and proofreading to an academic standard
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Ability to swiftly understand, organise, and communicate complex technical information even in areas initially unfamiliar
- Attention to detail
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, dealing with a varied workload and meeting tight deadlines
- Can-do attitude with a willingness to backstop and enable other team members and multi-task
- Ability to deliver with limited guidance/supervision
- Determined, hardworking, and organised
- Innovative problem solver, confident to take the initiative