'Fair Luxury at the RCA' is an event in London, UK, that presents an opportunity for anyone working in or connected to the jewellery industry to hear about and discuss the opportunities and issues surrounding ethical sourcing.
Fair Luxury is an independent group of changemakers in the jewellery world working towards greater traceability, responsible sourcing and sustainability. Its aim is to educate, challenge and inspire others to follow responsible sourcing practices by creating an open platform for discussion and debate of those issues surrounding ethics and sustainability in today’s jewellery industry.
The event, taking place on Wednesday July 11, will include presentations from practicing jewellers, staff working in certification programmes, gem traders, consultants and researchers working on Artisanal and Small-scale Mining (ASM).
Estelle Levin-Nally, Director of Levin Sources and member of the National Association of Jewellers Better Business Steering Committee, will close the event, drawing on the themes and topics from the day to provoke discussion among speakers and attendees.
Speakers and presentations on the day include:
- Yves Bertan and Kenneth Porter, Alliance for Responsible Mining (ARM), The Fairmined Certification Programme
- Stuart Pool, (Nineteen 48 Gemstone) - Mining in Sri Lanka
- Susi Smither (The Rock Hound), Tim Ingle (Ingle & Rhode), Naqiyah Sultan (Kashka), Peter Crump (Vipa Designs) - Being a Licensee Jeweller: Ideals and practicalities
- Martin Taber (Ethical Metalsmiths), "Make it happen" with Fairmined Gold
- Mary Michel and Emily Macdonald, (Incorporation of Goldsmiths), The Ethical Making Resource
- Gavin Hilson (University of Surrey), Barriers to formalizing small-scale mining: Insights from Sub-Saharan Africa
- Dax Lovegrove (Swarovski), BSR White Paper: Women in the Jewellery Supply Chain
Levin Sources is a founding member of Fair Luxury, with the company's Jane Barnett working closely with the other members to make Fair Luxury events happen. Previous events at Goldsmiths' Centre, London, and the Assay Office, Birmingham, have proven inspiring, insightful, and fantastic opportunities to make new contacts in the world of ethical jewellery.
Fair Luxury at the RCA takes place at the Royal College of Art, London. For more information and tickets, click here.