Levin Sources, a consultancy driving the transition to just and sustainable minerals value chains, is one of the associated partners of the Horizon Europe funded project on Building EU - Africa partnerships on sustainable raw materials value chains (AfricaMaVal). Through this project, Levin Sources is leading a task to identify investment needs and opportunities for critical raw materials artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) production, and we are now looking to engage a number of ASM experts with country-specific expertise. Applications and expression of interest will be accepted on a rolling basis. The post will be updated as necessity for specific countries arises.
Immediate country priorities
- The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
- Focus on tantalum, tin and tungsten
- Focus on cobalt and copper
The ASM country expert will support the Levin Sources team in the identification of information related to ECRM production and the ASM sector, and they will be responsible to:
- Leverage existing and previous experience working with the ASM sector in the country to identify resources, stakeholders and initiatives.
- Identify and prioritising stakeholders to interview and complement information gaps with practical insights.
- Contribute to the formulation of the ASM country profiles and identification of investment needs and opportunities for ECRM production.
Your profile and expertise
- Minimum 5 years of Experience working with the ASM sector
- Research and writing skills in English, French or Portuguese, according to the focus country
- Be based in the country for which you are applying as ASM expert and have the possibility to interview and meet stakeholders in person
- Previous experience with the ECRM and the ASM sector
- Academic background in one of the following disciplines: economics, geology, mining engineering
- Understanding of and previous experience working with financing mechanisms for the ASM sector
- Research and writing skills in English in addition to mother tongue if different from English
Level of effort (LoE) and Budget
The Level of Effort will depend on the country in scope. Roughly Levin Sources expects to engage consultants for a range of 5 to 10 days. When applying consultants should indicate their proposed daily fee. Country-specific costs will be taken into account to allocate a detailed budget for the consultancy.
Submitting your application
Please submit the following documents as part of your application.
- One-page letter summarising your experience and how you meet the requirements for the role
- Your expected daily fee in Great British Pound (GBP)
Applications should be submitted via firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the email: ASM country expert – AfricaMaVal.
Applications and CVs should be submitted no later than 29th May 2023, 11 pm BST.